• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Shin Splints

jam uh weezy

Bluelighter
FUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!

ok thats off my chest. I'm looking for some insight on your guys' personal experience with shin splints. What works best to heal them, prevent them, etc.

I started becoming a lot more physically active in the past year and these have started to become a part of my life as well.:\ I didn't know what they were at first, i thought my legs were just sore, so i continued jump-roping and popping a few painkillers before going out dancing(stupid!) until one night could hardly walk.
now when i let them heal enough to the point where they seem gone, they just start to slowly come back when i go dance. i want them gone!

it's more so the area of muscle in between my heal and calf. the calf as well, but mostly that area.

anyyyyyways. thanks in advance.

A couple of things, try some anti-inflammatories.

I'm sure you alread know this, but shin splints are the result of inflammation of the periostium of the tibia (sheath surrounding the bone). Traction forces on the periosteum from the muscles of the lower leg which cause shin pain and inflammation.

Anti-inflammatories may help reduce the swelling.

Whilst exercising I would recommended investing in some shock absorbing insoles for your shoes. These really do help.

In the meantime, keep exercising and push through (gradually & slowly with care).
Eventually, your legs will strengthen up with the right exercises and they should subside.

I used to struggle with shin splints massively but my physio worked me through the worst of it in my teens. Now I only suffer from it from time to time.

I'm guessing the onset is from you pushing your legs too hard whilst your body was not ready to work as hard as they were.

My old doctor told me to keep rest until it healed, went to a phys therapist, she told me to do calf stretches and stabilization exercises for my ankles because of instability, also to keep rest. then another physical therapist told me to gradually start exercising again. I've had it for about two years now and I can feel a little ache every time I do sports that involve running or when walking all day. I just avoid running as a sport, do bike etc. for cardio instead. I plan to start playing some kind of team sport this year and hope for a good outcome.

I suspect it's chronic with me. @lostNfound: I was told to avoid anti-inflammatories (steroid/NSAIDS) are you talking about anti-inflammatory drugs or a-i foods?

edit: Shin Splints suck fucking donkey dick shit cock sucker.. I feel for you.. Look at the "bright" side, you might just find out cycling is a lot more fun then running (i did!)

Lots of people get shin splints for different reasons. Almost everyone however has calves (back of the lower leg) that are too tight compared to the muscles in the front of your leg as a contributing factor. So stretching definately helps however the problem is that in the world of human muscles your calves are super strong workhorses that transport from A to B all the time. So just stretching them with the same 30 second interval most muscles responds to won't cut it.

If you are a handy person or know someone handy you can do what I did and make yourself a little ramp. It needs to be large enough to fit both your feet on it and solid enough to take your weight. The ramp needs to be elevated at around 35 degrees or so.

Then all you need to do is stand on it while keeping your body upright so your calves stretch constantly. Do that 5 days in a week and your shin splint pain will improve since you won't have the back of your leg trying to compensate for its lack of length by damaging the front of your leg.

Hope this helps, it sounds like a lot of work but the advice came to me from a guy trained in physical rehabilitation that seems to have forgotten more than every physiotherapist I've ever met knows. Plus it worked for me.

i use to get the worst shin splints ever!!
i gave it time to heal with rub on deep heat, that made it better already...
i found new shoes done me a world of wonder, i had my foot measured accurately so they could get shoes to fit my every move.
so much better. i gave it time and speant a shit load on getting true quality supported kicks.